NO MORE VICTIMS
Gun violence has a human toll equivalent to a medical epidemic.
Let's break down the scope of the problem. Over the course of the last day in the United States, roughly:
- Forty-eight children and teens were shot;
- Of those, seven kids died;
- And 41 were shot and survived;
- Nearly 300 people were shot in murders, assaults, suicides, suicide attempts, and unintentional shootings;
- Almost 90 people died today as a direct result of gun violence.
And that's just today.
And yet, time and again, we are told there isn't much anyone can do to prevent this from happening.
So here's another number: 0. NO MORE VICTIMS.
Let's work together to reach that goal. My colleagues and I are working on a package of bills that has the potential to get us closer. But we need your support.
Specifically, contact your elected officials and ask for their support for the following Assembly Bills (AB):
- AB 1663 (Chiu) strengthens California's already stringent assault weapons ban by including semiautomatic rifles with detachable magazines.
- AB 1664 (Levine) removes a loophole that allows for "bullet buttons" that allow for magazines to be easily switched out. The shooters in the recent murders in San Bernardino utilized this customization to quickly change magazines as they attacked civilians and law enforcement.
- AB 1673 (Gipson) makes it harder for people to obtain gun parts and components that can then be assembled into nearly untraceable "ghost guns."
- AB 1674 (Santiago) limits the purchase of long guns to one per month—just like handguns. Attempts by individuals to "stock up" on multiple guns could be a red flag that violence is imminent.
- AB 1695 (Bonta) stops illegal "straw" purchases where someone legally buys a firearm and then resells it to someone unable to legally purchase one.
- AB 2607 (Ting) allows mental health professionals, employers or coworkers to seek restraining orders to prevent high risk individuals from obtaining guns
These bills cannot become law without your help. Please sign up here to add your name to the growing list of people who say enough is enough—NO MORE VICTIMS.